GROUP QUESTIONS AND DISCUSSION:
- Can you think of times in your life when someone of significance in your work, school, church, or community life blessed you through words?
- Can you think of times in your life when someone of significance in your work, school, church, or community life wounded you through words?
- Read the following passages of Scripture Colossians 4:6 and Ephesians 4:29. Paraphrase in your own words what Paul says in these two verses to these two churches. Why do you think he wrote them? How would your life and our world be different if we lived by them?
- Read Proverbs 11:9, 11-12; Proverbs 15:4; Proverbs 16:24, 28; and Proverbs 18:21. Discuss as a group what stands out to you or speaks most to your heart.
- What is one point from the message Sunday, that if you were preaching, you would have placed or given more emphasis?
- Can you think of a recent situation in which you used your words to build someone up with whom you work? (You may feel like your bragging, but share for the purpose of encouraging yourself and each other to do more of the same).
- How about your words at work, school, church or community? Would your colleagues and friends think of you as someone who uses words to build up? Or would they say you do the opposite?
- How might you steward well the power of your words today/this week?
QUESTIONS ON YOUR OWN AND/OR WITH YOUR SPOUSE
- Who in your life this week stands the most to gain or lose by the words you choose to share with them?
- Can you think of someone whom you can encourage today/this week through your words? What will you say? When?