1. Pastor Kent shared a story about himself in college of him being clueless and missing the point. Looking back with the advantage of hindsight, share a time that you were ‘clueless’ or ‘missed the point’.
2. If you were to ask someone at work or school (that is not a Christian or no longer goes to church) what they think of the church or what they know about the church, what do you think they would say the church is best known for? Explain your answer.
3. What things are done sometimes in a church that cause a church to miss the point?
4. Today we read from a passage found in Mark 7:1-8. Read the rest of the passage, Mark 7:9-20.
a. Describe what you think Jesus was accusing the Pharisees of doing. How did they miss the point?
b. In verse 13 Jesus said, ‘And you do many things like that.’ Brainstorm as a group some ‘many things like that’ that some people do in the church today that causes them (maybe us) to miss the point?
c. Jesus quoted Isaiah who said, “These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are merely human rules.” What challenges you or what do you find most unsettling about this statement?
5. Another, probably familiar, passage read today was I Corinthians 13:1-3. Read the rest of the passage, I Corinthians 13:4-13.
a. Hopefully, through Christ, we are each growing in our love (no one is perfect), but of the words that describe love in verses 4-7, which one is the most challenging for you right now? Explain.
b. Which one do you feel comes most naturally to you? Explain.
6. What is one thing from the message Sunday or your discussion in Growth Group that by God’s grace you hope to apply to your everyday life?
1. Is there someone(s) in my life that I have been biting and devouring with my words? i.e. spouse, parent, children, or someone at church, school, or work, etc.
2. What is the next step God would have me take? i.e. Ask Jesus to forgive me, ask the person for forgiveness, just stop taking negatively about that person, etc.
3. What is one or two ways I can begin expressing my faith through love?